Friday, April 4, 2008

Countdown To The NFL Draft


The NFL draft is quite the paradox. On one hand, there's tons of excitement over who each team might draft with visions of landing the next game-changing back such as a Purple Jesus. Teams also draft in hopes of getting a franchise quarterback such as Cade McN..wait..nevermind. Which leads to the other side of the coin. It's been widely known that 80% of the first round picks will be complete busts. If you're the Bears, that number would be more like 98% (see: Cedric Benson, Michael Haynes, Marc Columbo, David Terrell, the forementioned McDumbfuck, Curtis Enis, Walt Harris, Rashaan Salaam, John Theirry, Alonzo Spellman, Stan "False Start Offense Number 60" Thomas).

Anyways, I think you get the point. Over the past 30 years, the Bears have only drafted three offensive lineman, and only one turned out a good career: Keith Van Horne in '81. This year needs to bring the fourth. As much as I would like the Bears to draft someone like Rashard Mendenhall or Johnathan Stewart, the offense will be complete dick if there's no holes opened up for the running game or protection for either the Terrorist or the Beard.

However, I think the Bears do need to use their second round pick (#44) for another back. It will obviously depend on who's available, as you can pretty much name any position and they'll probably need depth there. But's it obvious Garrett Wolfe will not pan out, and Adrian Peterson should continue to the be the back-up/third down back. As far as I'm concerned, Benson is dead to me.

Despite the fact that the everyone puts way too much hype in the draft, I still can't think of any day that excites me more that has nothing to do with an actual game. I get up early, crack open my first ice cold Miller Lite, and let the pandemonium begin. Now that I think about it, I've actually never done a mock draft before. I think I might do that just to see what happens.

In other Bears news, Brandon McGowan has been resigned to a 1-year deal. And you know what that means. Fucking Super Bowl bound now, that's what.

Google