Wednesday, October 10, 2007

It's Your Right to Rip Rex


There's been a shitload of discussion on sports radio and ofther forms of the media here in Chicago about how Rex Grossman has been treated by the national media since being benched. Mike North was talking about it this morning, and Tribune Bears beat writer David Haugh wrote about the subject today as well. While I agree with some of Haugh's points on how the talking heads like Kornhole could take it easy on Rex, I still think there's some things that come with the territory. If you suck it up on the highest level of play, you deserve criticism, whether you like it or not. Making millions comes with hearing millions of people's opinions. I'm sure there would be plenty of people telling me my writing sucks were I on espn or cnnsi or something of the sort (you might even think I do while reading this). Instead, it's just you, me, Noce, and others, from dozens to thousands who might stumble onto this from one of our other stories that gets linked. We don't have a microphone in our face after a shitty post, or get asked why we typed that lame ass joke. But we don't get paid to do this, and he does.

The main point is this: everything you do in the fishbowl is analyzed. Would it be nice to give him support? Of course. But yet why does Britney Spears make headlines everyday for driving in L.A. without a California license or politicians using pork barrel spending on porking high price hookers in D.C.? Cause we want to watch the car wrecks, the fallen heroes and the people we despise fail. I despise Rex Grossman the quarterback, not the person. While I find him arrogant, I don't know him as a person, and often times assumptions make an ass out of you and me. As I've said before, whatever he goes, I wish Rex the person all the best. And I wish Rex the quarterback nothing but interceptions, stupid grins and the best party plans on New Years one could book.

No comments:

Google