Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Let's get it on!



Playoffs? You're talking about playoffs?

The MLB second season begins tonight with the Divisional Series but that's not what I'm excited about. I am part of the bastardized demographic that still enjoys that sport played on ice. No not curling - that stupid sport is for Canadian Mr. Mom's who pushed brooms all day, eventually figuring out a way to turn it into a sport - I'm talking about ice hockey. It's a game played with five men from each team whose main goal is to slap a little black rubber thing called a "puck" into a net. I promise you it is quite exciting.




Hockey in the city of Chicago is about as popular as voting in Havana so it's hard for me to enjoy the sport without hearing some form of verbal punishment from my friends. Fortunately I can take solace in my home with a cold Labatt's Blue and the NHL Center Ice package that allows me to watch every Buffalo Sabres game in wonderful HD quality.

I've begun my hockey season by watching the 2001 Stanley Cup Finals presented on ESPN Classic - isn't vacation great?

Tonight's season opens with four games with the most notable being the matchup between defending Stanley Cup Champion Anaheim Ducks facing off against the Detroit Red Wings in a rematch of last year's Western Conference finals. The Ducks have already played two games over in Europe - where hockey isn't just a funny punchline. They will be without their #1 goaltender Jean-Sebastien Giguere but have two pretty good backups in Ilya Bryzgalov and Jonas Hiller. The Red Wings will send 42-year-old Pardubice native Dominik Hasek to the net in what will be his 16th NHL season. Chris Chelios, 45, will also be popping about 15 Advil before he embarks on his 24th NHL season.

So sit back, enjoy a nice cold Canadien brew, and some good old-fashioned, hard hitting action. For those of you who don't have Versus in their cable package - stop being a cheap bastard and get your head out of your ass! I know I'll at least be joined by one guy in my joy that the NHL season is about to be underway:

No comments:

Google